Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 30, 2012

Missing the Countrysides

My life was a constant interplay between the city and countrysides.

The first thirteen years of my life was spent in the city. We lived at the heart of Cubao in Quezon City, a mere 10 minutes walk to the Araneta Center and literally across the main thoroughfare leading to Manila C.O.D where my mother worked and close by where there was Ali Mall, Fiesta Carnival, the Marikina Shoe Expo the old Savory and Tom Sawyer's restaurant and the rest of 70s-80s Cubao still imprinted in my memory.

I literally grew up roaming around the department where everyone knew me. I think this was the reason why - apart from women's general tendency to be drawn to malls and shopping (or window shopping), I feel so at home at any mall and department store until this very date. But that is another story.

I took this picture when we went home last December 2011.
This was taken the Rizal-Laguna border while driving past the Manila East Road Highway that overlooks Laguna de Bay.

We moved to the country sides when I was about to enter Sophomore high school and lived there throughout my college and post grad years when I started working in Makati.

I loved the country sides then and I still love it now. There is a sense of peace stepping outside your home, be able to breathe fresh air and just stare underneath the sky and hope to see a shooting star or look at the constellations.  I miss walking outside our home these time with our children in tow and simply enjoy hours of togetherness while communing with nature.


I wish the rice paddies of Laguna will stay that way forever
and not pave the way for urban monstrosities someday.


Our Hometown in Rizal
Taken on early New Year's Day morning of 2012

Been missing it in the middle of a life surrounded by highrise buildings and glaring city lights.

And I guess, I am missing -- looking -- for something far more than just the countryside itself.