Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Craving for Napoleones

I wrote this blog sometime in August 2010 but never got to post it because I was not to take a picture of my boxful of Napoleones. We devoured it before I realized I need a picture. So here it is... my favorite Pinoy pastry.

The Napoleones pastry was featured on the cover of a food magazine in Philippines. The pastry looked so inviting and heavenly I really had to sink my teeth into one! I realized it wasn't easy finding one in Laguna, being a Bacolod specialty.

Credits: Picture from Foodie Manila

Napoleones is a made from puff pastry with custard filling and topped with white frosting. It comes in small square sizes usually sold in boxes. Napoleones has this crunchy sensation from the layered puff then a soft, creamy and sweet taste from the custard cream filling and sugar glaze. Those who had a taste of napoleones could attest to its mouth watering taste, with just the right creaminess and sweetness.


I read from food blogger Kai  that napoleones possibly was adapted from the napoleon, which is how the French pastry mille-fuille (a thousand leaves) is called outside of France, which in turn is claimed to have originated from Naples in Italy, thus the name. Thus we can surmise that napoleones is indeed a Italian delicacy adopted in Negros. Theory has it that it’s probably introduced by one of the Gaston patriach  who originated from France, married a Filipina and settled in Negros Occidental. This is why authentic napoleones can only be bought and shipped from Negros to Manila.

Back to my napoleones craving...

I had to really hound Mommy J and Geh to death for the next two months or so to help me find napoleones! Finally redemption came when beautiful Geh found napoleones in Roli's which has a booth somewhere in SM Megamall. A box of 12 cost about 200 bucks. Forgive me for my selfishness but since I only get to buy a dozen, I had to save it for the hubby and the kids so we can enjoy them at home. And so despite my 2 cups a day coffee limit, hubby and I decided to indulge with an early evening coffee and relish the sweet, flaky and creamy goodness of napoleones!