Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Priceless!

I couldn't believe my eyes!

Last December, my mother-in-law gave me a most humbling and wonderful gift.

Enclosed in a pink and gold trinket was a gold medallion. I took a close-up picture to see the details.

When worn, it actually resembles a scapular rather than a necklace. There is a butterfly detailing close to the medallion. I find it very meaningful because this is my personal symbol. This is also the icon of metamorphosis (if you noticed). The rather long chain is actually series of individually fashioned big and small gold crusted beads.



I am not expert on jewelry or gold-things but I can just tell that this isn't your run-of-the-mill gold necklace. The chains have a pale-gold sheen to it and so does the medallion. Not too bling-bling-y gold but almost a supremely regal gold. I thought this must be an antique piece of ornament.

The trinket where it was placed also have a gold butterfly adornment.
I first saw from Daphne Osena-Paez' blog/website the medallions that she designed and crafted herself and sold only in specialty boutiques as limited edition necklaces or bracelets. The central piece of the medallion is usually the Mother and Child painted replica which she sources all the way from Europe. I actually wanted to have one but I had to buy it from Manila. It's a limited collection. And knowing how sought after it was, it'll be tough luck.

This medallion though had a central glass piece. Nanay told me that this was once owned by Tatay's mother. Since Tatay had no sister, his mother (my Nanay's mother-in-law) gave this to Nanay eventually. Tatay had two other married siblings, so for her to chose Nanay must have meant something.

It is truly an antique piece according to Nanay. Handed down from generation to generation. Nanay had no daughter of her own, so she said she is now giving to me, and she did say that so that much later, Kyla can have it as well.

Both my husband's and our side came from middleclass Filipino familes. We were always told by our parents that the only riches in this life that can be handed down to us is our education. To use it well and live a full life.

To be bequeated and be entrusted this rare piece of art is simply humbling and priceless!

Thank you Nanay!

No comments:

Post a Comment