Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 23, 2012

Spring Cleaning (Welcome Year of the Dragon)

It has been my annual tradition since 2001 to end the year by reminiscing the significant events and milestones of the year that was about to pass... to meditate on what lessons were reaped and embrace the new year with optimism and enlightenment.

When re-reading my so-called Yearenders, I observed that some years were not as bright and salutary as the rest; although thankfully, these years were few and far in between.  I was not able to finish my 2011 Yearender.   I started the draft but I never got even halfway.  I decided to abandone it altogether and not force the issue.

In place of my traditional yearender which is lost by now, let me instead redirect my tradition to a slightly different theme.

Chinese New Year or also known as Spring Festival is being celebrated here in Singapore today to welcome the Year of the Water Dragon. It is said that days before the Lunar New Year, Chinese families clean the house in a major kind of way (spring cleaning) to sweep away bad luck and bring in good fortune. I was even told that furniture sales skyrocket during this period because some families even go to the extent of replacing old furnitures with new ones during spring cleaning.

We did our own spring cleaning earlier today but it didn't include any throwing-away-of-old-furniture. Apart from the usual daily cleaning, I rig the cabinets for old stuff that has outlived its usefulness and I do this every so often. We have a boxful of stuff waiting for the next donation. I got better at letting go of possessions as opposed to hoarding it until the day I die.

Personally, spring cleaning should not only apply to our physical environment but also to our state of mind.

There are so many negative forces around us today and no getting away from it --  it's in the news, the papers, on TV, in every random doomsday prophet near you. But it doesn't have to be this way. We certainly cannot runaway from the so-called "harsh realities" but then life is too short and too precious, to allow such forces to ruin what beauty life has to offer.

What better way to face this world's gloom and doom forces than to soak our minds with positivity!

Look at the brighter side of events... Believe in the goodness of every person... Cultivate and speak positive thoughts... Let heaven and nature take care of what's not. These are not rocket-science learnings isn't?  But when I made a renewed commitment to embrace these, it's all too liberating! We ought to make mental and spiritual spring cleaning a regular habit!

I am ready for you, 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment