Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Does Anyone Still Own a Walkman?

My 13 years-old Sony Walkman still in top form.
I just need to get a circuit board (I'm guessing) repaired.

The first thing I bought from my first paycheck - after graduating from college and landing a job with P&G - was a Sony Walkman.

I've coveted the Walkman since my grade school and high school days but since we cannot afford these things then, I had to wait until I got my own salary to be able to buy one. It was quite a long wait as you can tell because by the time I bought one, the Discman was already the in-thing for music lovers.

When I started working in Makati, I took the public transport everyday to Ayala Avenue where the Philippine G.O. was located, from our hometown in the countrysides of Binangonan, Rizal. And when I say countryside, I am not exagerrating. Our home lies at the foot of a hill-y terrain. The backyard connects to a creek and vast track of land and a chicken and duck farm (we don't own those, by the way). After living in a dormitory during college days, I want to come home at the end of the day and have a hot, decent home-cooked dinner rather than spend another episode of boarding some place else.

Besides, if I tally the cost of living independently in the Metro, I'll be living a wonderful life of independence with an empty pocket by mid-month while walking along posh Ayala Avenue looking all jazzed up. Nah! I'd rather go home and save some. I even bring my own packed lunch all the way to Makati then.

Back to the Walkman.

That said, the Walkman was my daily companion as I took the 60-minutes or so travel time from Rizal to Makati City. I have at least 2-3 casette tapes lodged in my bag everyday so that I can tune in to my favorite music and block out everything else in the world. This is especially true if the music playing in the jeepney (and later on, the more comfortable Toyota FX vans with the Rizal-Makati route) is an abominable one!

Even after the Discman and much later the Apple's Ipod came to rule the musical universe, I kept my Walkman and my assorted casette tapes. One by one my casette tapes started to fade out of old age and I can't play anything anymore.

Much later I got married and lived in Makati, we had two kids, moved to Laguna, built our new house, moved into Singapore and who knows what future is up to, but I still have my Walkman with me. With one casette tape left (ballroom dancing music).

The Walkman is what my daughter would now call as "a thing from the Olden Days." They had a lesson from school about the so-called Olden Days and they were asked to come to school in an attire to reminisce the Olden Days from their country. They also brought things from the past. Since she can't carry our antique wooden baul (casket), the antique and very heavy plantsa (flat iron, this is one where you need to put hot coals inside the main compartment and strike while the iron is hot) and our iron-casted bowls, we opted to have her bring the old rattan ball (it is lightweight). She should have brought the walkman. None of those kids would recognize it anyway.

As of today, the Walkman can't play a thing anymore. When I attempted to place AA batteries and pressed the 'play' button, it gives off a whirring sound. Some mechanical thing is working but I guess the electronic boards were busted by now. It's a hunch.

But I'm keeping it anyway. Someone may be able to fix it. And then my next problem is where to get a casette tape. But that's another problem for another time.

1 comment:

  1. recently, i bought a used copy of Breathe's All That Jazz to replace my old cassette tape version, long consigned to the trash bins of history. i thought i was buying the CD but then when i opened the package, it was a cassette tape. by then, i decided to stick with the digital downloads. for now, i'm keeping this tape for you. when you get that walkman fixed. :-)

    ReplyDelete