Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 22, 2011

Our Kokeshi Dolls Collections

Our Kokeshi Tribe (and the Mini Me at far right)

I wasn't really into collecting novelty trinkets until recently. We started collecting Kokeshi Dolls. I like to put it as "we" meaning Kyla and I but I guess I'm the one who is more into it.

Kokeshi Dolls are sold at most Precious Thots outlets here and they have a wide variety of assortment of dolls. I call it the small-medium-large-extra large and Ninja edition. They also have key chains and knick knacks like make-up kit (I bought two), stationeries, ID holder, purses etc.

I decided to Google the origins of Kokeshi and this is what I found...

Kokeshi dolls date back as hand carved dolls from wood for the farmers' children in Japan. It evolved as colorful, themed-wooden dolls that we know today. Each doll is bestowed a name and represents core values and wisdom. I have one original Japan-made Kokeshi Doll from Tokyo. My youngest sister bought this in Japan during the same week when the earthquake rocked Sendai.
An Original Kokeshi Doll from Tokyo, Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment