Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Flexing My Wings: How I Overcome Shyness

The butterfly is my chosen icon for Metamorphosis. There is parallelism between the lowly and unglamorous caterpillar transforming into a butterfly after weeks of hibernation. The original article Metamorphosis was born at a clandestine time when I was going through my own coming to age journey.

Reaching Out

In my second year in college, I experienced working in a fast-food industry as a service crew. Financial crisis struck our family and supporting me through college put a toll to our finances so I had to find a way to help out. I was a shy person and you'd understand that this is quite an effort for me. I dont mind working but one that required constant exposure to people is enough to make me cringe. Not to mention that I had to learn my way in getting SSS, NBI, Medical clearance, interviews, etc etc and enduring long queue.

My first job was at Dunkin Donuts in Sta. Lucia East Mall. We were to be the 1st set of crew in this franchise store in Cainta, Rizal. The glitch? We had to complete a 72-hour OJT in their shop located at Novaliches! And we did not even get paid for it, mind you. For the OJT duration we received an allowance of Php30/day which, if you add up the fact that I had to eat and commute from Binangonan Rizal daily, is not even enough for a day really. But between nothing and a prospect of a job, we had to take it anyway. I left Rizal at 4:30 am daily because my shift starts at 8AM and came home past 9 PM. I met my friend Mhel in my first day of OJT and we were both from Binangonan. Our friendship continued long after I went back to my college, graduated and worked in Makati. I was even in her wedding entourage and a godmother to her daughter. There were six crew in the Cainta branch and being a small team, we bonded naturally and worked well together. They were all present in my 18th birthday and we continued our friendship long after our contract ended.


My next job during my 4th year in college was at Pizza Hut. It was also a new store in the same mall where Dunkin Donuts was located. You can also say that after my stint at DD, a veil was lifted from me and somehow helped me overcome my shyness. I was more confident already when I joined PH and had less trace of awkwardness that I had years before. I was stationed at the slice pizza counter. I already started writing for the college journal then and the other crew would always run to me if they had to write promisory notes.

I realized now that it was after my stint with the fastfood industry that I actually learned to overcome my shyness and be more comfortable around people. After my DD stint, I finally had the strength to apply for the staffwriter position at the college journal, compete for (and won) a position in the Chem Engg Society organization, led the SK at our hometown and many others.

Looking back, I did not only gain experience about life, I also got an important gift for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment