Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Daddy-less Weekend

It’s a Sunday and it is usually our family day lunch out. But since Daddy had to spend the weekend in China, we had to plan something on our own. I got a notice that Meralco will be doing their maintenance work in the village which meant no electricity and water for 5 hours. So we decided to spend the day at the Mall rather than roast at home.

Earlier that day though, I woke up later than usual and the kids took a bath already. The yayas were preparing to leave for their Sunday day-off so I told them to go ahead and we’ll manage. As I prepared for the usual morning rituals, Kyla laid out small plastic chairs in front of the garden and that’s where she and Kevin sat while I was eating my late breakfast. She brought out a fan (electricity was already cut-off) and her new book called Super Dad. I heard her reading the book for her Kuya Kevin while he eagerly looks onto the book.

When it was time to take the morning shower, I told Kyla to pack their stuff and stay at the 2nd floor balcony instead where it was cooler and so that we can lock up the rest of the doors downstairs while I was out of sight. Kyla promptly obeyed and then I saw her hauling another set of low chairs and table to the balcony. She even placed another set of chairs as foot stools while she continued reading the book for Kevin. It was quite a sight to see them serenely enjoying time together and it makes me happy.

Then it was time to prepare for the mall. After helping them get dressed, I talked to the kids to let them know the events for the day. We also made sure Kimby has enough water supply and promised to bring her a pasalubong.

Since tricycles will take forever, I told the kids we will have to walk from the house to the main road to get a jeepney ride. We brought a folding umbrella since it was warm already and in case it rained later.

Walking was fun. I like walking. I can walk for hours to no end like I used to when I was younger and had to get SSS IDs, NBI clearance, etc etc and had to endure hours of walking when my money isn’t enough to get me from one point to the next building miles away. To make it fun, I told Kyla that she will be the “walking leader”. There was a short cut we can take and knows how to lead the way. Even though the sun was beating down, it was fun for all of us.

Then we had to ride a jeepney to SM City Sta. Rosa. Having been born with a family car in tow, the kids love the novelty of riding public transports from time to time. Of course, it was hot and dusty and some jeepney drivers run as if there is no tomorrow so we had to hang on to the rail for dear life, but the kids were happy. Kyla liked being the one to give the bayad to the driver, and calling out a loud “paraaaaa….” when we reached the destination. Kevin liked looking past the rows and rows of scenery passing by and having the dusty breeze against his face. It was probably a curious experience for him.

We had lunch at their favorite Pizza and Pasta joint as soon as we landed the Mall. We requested for a take home pack so that we can bring some for Kimby. I was hoping to watch a movie but nothing was worth the effort so we detoured to the bookstore instead. The bookstore is my safe haven. If nothing else works, buy a good book.

Kyla also started to like books. At first I gave up and tried not to force the issue but since they started the DEAR time (Drop Everything And Read) in school, she developed a real interest for books. So we ended up buying books and activity sets for Kyla (Camp Rock 2 and coloring book), Kevin (activity and writing Books) and a paperback novel for myself -- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, which by the way, I started reading until page 41 before the lightbulb moment drove me to write this blog! The book was about an autistic teen age boy playing detective over their neighbor's pooddle who died.

We passed by the Toy Store but firmly told the kids that they can look at the stuff but we are not going to buy any that day because I just got them new toys from my Singapore trip and that Daddy will likely buy some more. I am proud of Kyla’s maturity for such things. I knew she was eyeing the yoyo and the toy microwave. Unlike kids who would bawl for not having their wishes granted, she never forces her will and obeys without fanfare. Until now, we are not buying her PSP or Game Boy (is that still how it’s called?) even if everyone in her school has one but she never complains of being so “not in”. Later that day, before going to sleep I told her how proud I am of her.

We made some trips around the Mall and finished a few errands here and there. I noticed from the mall entrance that dark clouds are building up so we decided to head home. Back at home, we had enough time that afternoon for some snooze, snack and have Kevin play basketball while Kyla volunteered to water the plants and have Kimby guard them at the lanai area. Yayas won’t be back until dinner time so I cooked chicken casserole for an early dinner with the kids who must be missing rice by then.

After dinner, Kyla also made a birthday card for his Dad. She drew Alvin as Superdad and then she had smaller drawings around it why she called her dad a Superdad.

As I have predicted, the kids retired early so likely no Skype Video call with Daddy that night but we did have one last game of feeding and putting Kyla’s baby doll to sleep (Kevin helped) and prayed together. Kevin continued fiddling with this towel so I gave him a choice of play or sleep. He chosed sleep.

But before sleeping, I kissed them goodnight and told them how proud I was for being such good and helpful kids. I told them that although Daddy isn’t here, he will be happy to know how they behaved at their best and helped Mommy cope while he wasn’t around.

They must be so used to us being away, either at work for > 8 hours daily or the business trips and the weekends are all we have for quality time and bonding. Whether it was me or Alvin who isn’t around, we try to make it a happy time for the kids so that they won’t be sad about missing one or the other. Make the most of each moment, make it count and give them memories that they can tuck away as part of a happy childhood. Today is one such day!

No comments:

Post a Comment