Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Kikay Kit Series 1




I read somewhere in Preview magazine that women are generally either a bag or a shoe fiend. And that the other category is either you are a make-up or fashion junkie.
I must say I am a make-up and a bag person. I like clothes too but of course I only get to dress up on weekends usually in a weekend-fashionista-mom kind of way. As for shoes, my criteria will be comfort first and so Naturalizer is the hands-down winner despite the style low-down. My love for bags started when my mom ventured on buy and sell of synthetic ladies bag and I get to snag a few samples for myself back in HS.

But when it comes to make-up, we can talk about it all day, shop all day and I will not get tired! I will even offer my services to find the right make up for you!
Here are a few samplers of my favorite stuff and why I adore them:
Whenever I pass by The Body Shop, I had to mentally warn myself to stay away, else I subconsciously gravitate towards the store! TBS carries an amazingly wide array of innovative cosmetics but what really got me in is that they are so easy to apply. Some may say it’s pricey but their make-ups can multi-task which makes it really worth your cash!

The Body Shop Lip and Cheek Stain is one of their best sellers! It doubles as a lip color and blush. I miss their cream blush though. Wayback in 2001 I bought this little pot of cream blush and all you had to do is apply them on your cheeks using your fingers and it would give you a natural-blushing cheeks look! Maybelline came up with a similar blush pot.

The best blush I always come back to is the L’Oreal Blush Delice (in Marhsmallow). It gives you an almost natural glow without looking like a clown! I use the famous Nars Orgasm for special occasions. The Face Shop Blushes are cool for daily wear. Lately I bought the Body Shop Shimmer Waves. Again, it doubles as a blush and eye color.

I don’t always bother to put on eye color but lip color will be a perpetual must have! I can never have enough lip sticks and end up giving them away . Estee Lauder is my IT brand for lipstick. You can also try colored lip glosses which are the rave these days! Lancome Juicy Tubes and Mac Lipglass are the award-winning lip glosses (I have tried both) but if you find them scandalously pricey, you can also find cool ones at Bloom, Maybelline and The Face Shop’s Jelly Tint and Lip Glosses.

Another must have is the eyeliner and mascara. They help frame the face and open up/brighten up your eyes! I bought my Estee Lauder eyeliner in Changi Airport in 2007 (I was with Gay who was at awe when I started getting technical and preachy over lipsticks) and I’m glad to say it’s still alive!
Maybelline is my loyal friend when it comes to mascara. I am using the Volume Express mascara these days and even when I’m too lazy to put on eye color, a dash of mascara works wonder for your peepers!

And ah… lastly, the eye color.
Due to the economic situation, I prefer to keep a daily eye make-up (The Body Shop, the multi-tasking ones above) and keep the posh ones (Nars, Estee Lauder) for occasions that require THE made-up look. I suggest buying in palettes so you have plenty of choices and only buy in single color pot if you are sure to use them almost always. I have a Lancome eye makeup palette which has cool daily wear colors. Colored eye pencils also make great substitutes for eye shadows.

I don’t always use liquid foundations and saved it for occasions. I keep a face powder for touch-ups. Clinique is by far the best but given its price, I settled for a more cost effective brand. VMV is also a dark horse when it comes to hypo-allergenic face powders and I used it in my younger days.
It may amuse you that through the years, I have tried several brands (most I did not mention anymore, space is precious) for various make-up needs. There are a lot of emerging budget friendly brands these days too! But so far, after scouring stores and magazines but those above are my tried and tested allies!

Coming Soon: The 5 Minute Make Up

No comments:

Post a Comment