Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 15, 2010

BFF Night Out


The sequel came a tad too late, but what the heck?

The much awaited women's night out for Zarah's farewell salvo finally came to fruition. Getting a common schedule for everyone was a challenge. I for one had a full friday, running from one meeting to another and by 3:30pm, I felt nearly out of breath already. I decided to change into my gimik outfit so that I wont be scrambling in the nick of time by 4 pm.

I guess the ladies were indeed excitedly looking forward to this day because we all saw each other at the ladies locker room preening and prepping up. As expected, when I had to come back to the office for last minute stuff, I had to endure their quips over my outfit -- a 70s psychedelic print revival which I found cool and artsy. Too aquarian, I'd say with perverse pride!

By 4 pm sharp- all four of us -- Ninnie, Bevs, Maty and moi -- all present at the front seats of the shuttle bus headed for Makati. I braced myself for an oven-baked afternoon (was told the shuttle was quite warm despite AC) that thankfully was unfounded and after a few chit-chats with my seat mate Ninnie, we decided to doze off in case traffic is slow.

Jas and Zarah were already waiting at the GO and by 530pm, we were cozily settled at Cafe Juanita along Burgos Circle at The Fort. Good thing Zarah was able to get reservations because by 7pm or so, their patrons started pouring in. We got an Al Fresco dining set-up but I was able to sneak a peak of its interior. Though Cafe Juanita boasts primarily of Philippine-Fusion cuisine, the ambience and interiors are a heady mix of Asian themes. A huge Buddha adorns the mezzanine, candy colored drapings and lamps dominate the ceiling and the table cloth fabric have sequin ornaments. The menu also had familiar Asian-fusion dishes.

For appetizers, we ordered Vietnamese Spring Rolls which we chomped heartily (having skipped afternoon break, we are mighty hungry by then). For the main course, we had Sinanglay (Maya-Maya wrapped in gabi leaves and laced with coconut milk), Adobo Spare Ribs with pork flakes, Pad Thai Noodles and a bowl of garlic rice. Bevs and Ninnie being soup people ordered Tom Yum Gung. I also got a share of the soup and it was good but was not spicy enough for me. Bent of getting tipsy (though as usual, it doesn't really work on me), Zarah, Jas and I ordered red wine for full measure.

After that, it was gabfest galore! We even had to categorize the topics lest we get astray. You can imagine six women together and the night being young. Do understand that the topics were under CDA so I will not elaborate at this point.

Bevs was the revelation for the evening! We were so used to her manang-garb so her sleeveless, low back number was a welcome surprise and I must say it becomes her! Cheers to that! Our main celeb Zarah (who also generously picked the dinner tab, thanks, thanks!) also looked very lovely in her LBD number.So very GO-ish I must say. After long years of monotonous polo shirt and beige slacks, it must be a "fashion freedom" feeling for my friend!


By 8pm, we tried to extend our welcome by ordering desserts. The majority went for Crepe Samurai (which does not appear to be in crepes), Zarah had Sansrival while adventurous me decided to try the Sticky Toffee Pudding. I read about this dessert in one of the paperbacks. The heroine of the story was serving this at one of the dinners for the homestead.

For the night cap, we headed to the nearby UCC cafe for caffeine kick and more chats. At one point, we revived the discussion on the common factor among successful females at our workplace. Guess what? Or I should say guess who? Why, it is our ever-loving, ever-patient better half! While most men would be having their friday night out over beer and what have you, guess who's at home while the mommas are having fun? :-)

And yes, you bet this won't be the last!

No comments:

Post a Comment