Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Year Ender : The Climb

I would like to recall the year 2010-  the Tiger year  -  My year through a song.

“There’s always gonna be another mountain. I’m always gonna want to make it move. Always gonna be an uphill battle, sometimes you’re gonna have to lose. Ain’t about how fast I get there, ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side. It’s the climb.”

Year 2010 is filled with events, which at the time, seemed just like another ordinary day really. Little did I know that life was weaving strings of memories that is going to be a part of a folio of people, places and events in the patchwork of the journey.

• Metamorphosis was reborn in January 2010 via my blog site. In the internet age, I finally decided to be done with my usual journals and start something for world wide web to see. It continue to be an extension of my earliest passion for writing and deep down, I was hoping to be able to touch lives through stories from my children, in this web page.

• My Birthday celebration. Looking back I realized it was the last one I will be celebrating in the Plant. It was actually a working day due to the AM Step 6 Workshop so I celebrated t with the Laundry LT at King Bee’s a week later. The folks also bought Mango Bravo cake at Conti’s as a surprise. Not to be outdone, Loves also took a (surprise) VL that day and they came over in the afternoon to bring a bouquet of flowers and cake and gift from Body Shop waiting at home, after celebrating over dinner at Nuvali's.

• Kevin’s Graduation. A big step from last year’s graduation day, Kevin is now more comfortable wearing his toga and gown and walked alone without tantrums for his graduation march. He also came up alone on stage to get his multiple intelligence award and we met him on stage halfway. Parents also applauded for him and we are happy that he now feels a sense of belonging with the rest of the school kids. In their Christmas Outreach program, Kevin was one of the kids awarded as Most Generous for his donation to the drive.

• Our travels. This year we started carving out more time to travel as a family. We love going to beaches which Kevin and Kyla also love. This year we went to Canyon Cove, Caylabne and Bohol Island. The kids loved their first plane ride and were on their best behavior throughout the flight. I started creating a list of new places to visit and explore.

• Kyla’s Self Discovery. Kyla did not make it for the honor roll in pre-school and while as a parent, I will miss the bragging right, I reminded myself that this is not about me. And so I assured her that we have confidence in her capabilities and not make a big deal out of not making it. But Kyla is full of surprises… We decided to enroll Kyla in St. Scholastica’s College Westgrove for grade school. Coming from a private school myself, I wanted her to experience growing up in a big school and be prepared to face life at large. I am proud to look back and see how Kyla has grown so much in the last five month… she joined the Center for Pop Music singing workshop and in her final recital, she sang “This is Me” with great voice and stage projection. She easily made new friends in SSCW and also joined the Dance Club where she got to also perform. She was a finalist for the Science Quiz Bee and top 3 finalist for Grade 1 Declamation contest. Kyla was also awarded the TOP Book Borrower for Grade 1 level and won new books as her prize. Kyla was also twice awarded the Academic Excellence award and a great way to say goodbye to her school. Most of all Kyla is most endeared and praised not for these achievements… but for her emerging strength of character. Kyla loves her brother very much. They share a special bond and people around them see it and are inspired, seeing Kyla merrily bouncing around her Kuya Kevin and showing her support and caring in every way possible. They are our true blessings!


• ITW plant was engulfed by fire and this changed the course of Alvin’s career in ITW. He was assigned to do a short term trip in China which is his first ever international travel and for the first time, celebrated his birthday away from home. We continued to have the usual cake and birthday dishes at home even though he can only join us in Skype. For the first time, I’ve seen Kevin cry over the absence of a family member.

• My Career (edited version from the original musings). So much has happened this year career-wise and little did I knew that it will be a prelude of things to come.  In a whirlwind of events, next thing we knew I accepted an assignment at the Singapore GO and the entire family will have to relocate by January. We had to live as split family for three months and had to wrap up our lives in Manila, pave the way to new destination, new country and a new assignment.

• Kyla’s 10th Birthday. Kyla celebrated her 7th birthday in a Camp Rock/Pop Star theme at the Paseo Premiere Hotel. We had over 150 guests and more than half of her classmates past and present, teachers and Kevins' teachers and therapists came to celebrate with her which is a testimony of the people and friends she has made. She also rendered a solo song number which makes for a memorable birthday.

• My farewell. I’ve always wondered how my life at the Plant will end and where to go next. I’ve always thought it would not be soon. But it’s not to be. And so last October 1, the farewells were in order. I feel humbled and honored from the touching messages from so many friends, colleagues, direct reports and people I have worked with in the Plant. I will always keep their messages with me as inspiration and source of joy during the difficult times.

And so as I bid farewell to 2010, I also welcome and embrace a new life waiting. Life is full of surprises. Life is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment