Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Birthday Staycation

After spending endless years with my birthday falling on weekday/work week, it was, quite an auspicious way to celebrate a birthday that is faced with a long weekend holiday as it coincided with the 2013 Chinese New Year!

Easily in the last 4 birthdays I had I was -- holding a weeklong workshop at the Plant, skipped lunch to hustle issue sheet revisions and powerpoint presentation that was due shortly after lunch, had to finish the monthly board Operations review and last year, huddled in a situation room to put together the supply plan after a crisis erupted.

With my birthday falling on a long weekend holiday, you can say I did concote a grand plan to enjoy it while it  lasts.  Nothing could be more promising than being marooned with one good luck after another!

Panoramic view of Rasa Sentosa Resort
No cloudy day can dampen my mood this week!
Weve always wanted to do a staycation at Sentosa but bookings are always a challenge. I got lucky with my chance booking at the Shangrila Rasa Sentosa Resort for a spacious, pool side room.  With two tweens in tow, I very much appreciate that our suite has a living room and the sofa bed was converted into a bed that Kevin and Kyla can use!  There were two mini balconies that directly face the pool side and the Koi pond. We spent the afternoon doing nothing mostly. Well, sort of -- knowing me, I have to get around and take pictures even with the cloudy sky looming.


The main bedroom with soothing hints of earth colors



The kids love having their own hang-out and TV (we do too..!)


Birthday cake from the Resort Staff

Being a festive season, the staff kept on bringing stuff over at the room througout the day, not that we are complaining. There were lukans (pair of mandarin oranges), box of chocolates and chocolate lollipops and a mini birthday cake for our family to enjoy.

By dinner time, we were deliberating whether to just have room service (too lazy) or dive into the CNY eve buffet dinner at Silver Shell Cafe which I predicted to be overflowing with crowd. So we went there anyway and got a table immediately at the serene end of the dining hall. Kyla thoroughly enjoyed the children's buffet spread which was set up at the right height for the young ones.

To continue the lucky streak, just before we left dinner, the host asked if we want to contribute to their children's charity fund for $5. Each donation entitles you to a lucky dip in their prosperity casket-filled with angbaos.  We had two picks, one each for Kevin and Kyla. I was busy assisting Kevin in his angbao when the host exclaimed that Kyla picked the angbao with the grand prize! It was a buffet dinner for two at Rasa Shangrila hotel!


CNY Eve Dinner at Silver Shell Cafe

We spent the next day- my actual birthday- strolling along the Siloso Beach after a sumptuous breakfast and with the kids going for a swim while hubby and I watch along. It was Kyla's first swim after months of having her arm in a cast. Throughout the day, greetings from friends and well-wishers also poured in.

Dragon Dance commenced early in the morning of my Birthday,
the 1st day of the Lunar New Year and welcoming the year of the snake


Quirky!


The Water Park area

We went home later that day for a birthday dinner at home with my sister Cindy and our yaya Jhane. With hubby presiding over my usual request of dishes. The highlight was of course, when hubby and the kids gave me their birthday present... hubby pulled all the stops this year when he surprised me with a Pandora bracelet with charms! There was an angel boy for Kevin and a sun for Kyla.. then we added the twin butterfly for hubby and me, plus it is the symbol of my blog itself. I probably gushed a hundred times about how much I loved this thoughtful gift!


Keeping it simple. One candle for that one shot at life. One precious life to live.

Hubby is all smiles that I loved it... of course, my smile was bigger!
... and it is not yet the end. The next day we all head for Legoland Malaysia. But that, is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment