Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Fear

This post resurrects my lost love for poetry.  Poems bring to life that hidden voice in our psyche on thoughts, both real and abstract.

Last week, I received a special gift from Lau, a friend and colleague. It was a book of poems Things Happen, written (and signed) by his father Cirilo F. Bautista, the National Artist for Literature.  I thank Lau not only for the book, but also for reawakening the lost poet within.

And while I can only dream of having my own anthology published, I meanwhile bask in this little world for a few seconds of fleeting attention.

Starting with this poem I wrote in the late 90s. 

Fear

I smelled fear.
Yours.
Veiled contempt
cloaked in blank stares
and aggression.
But then,
I see what is real.
And I saw your fear.

I smelled fear.
Floating adrift
with the stale air.
Trying
to cut through me.
But instead it cut you.

I smelled fear.
Crouching in your darkness.
Fleeing.
But then,
you cannot hide from me.

I will find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment